516.671.8187  |  15 Glen street, suite 302a  |  glen cove, NY 11542

888.275.2233  |  5 west 37th street, SUITE 525  |  new york, NY 10018

Talk to us

(516) 671-8187

Davidson Law Group, P.C. © ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.

The United States L-1 visa is a non-immigrant visa which permits companies operating both in the US and abroad to transfer certain employees from its foreign operations to its USA operations for up to seven years.

The employees must have worked for a US company outside the US for at least one out of the last three years.

There are two types of employees who may be sponsored for L-1 visas:


The executive or manager should have supervisory responsibility for professional staff and/or for a key function, department or subdivision of the employer. Such personnel are issued an L-1A visa, initially for a three year period extendible in two year increments to a maximum of seven years.

Specialized Knowledge Staff 

This category includes those with knowledge of a company's products/services, research, systems, proprietary techniques, management, or procedures. Applicants in this category are issued an L-1B visa, initially for three years extendible to a maximum of five years.

On completing the maximum allowable period in L-1 status, the applicant must be employed outside the United States for a minimum of 1 year before a new application for L or H status can be filed.

L-1 Visas

  • Companies operating in the US can apply to USCIS for an L-1 visa to transfer an employee to the US from their overseas operations.
  • Eligible applicants will be granted an L-1 visa for up to three years.